Since whenever the concept of a group, herd or team has existed, the requirement of a leader or head has been there too. A leader or a head is an entity that holds the lead of the team and guides it through all the activities carried out by it. The selection of a leader of a team depends on the qualities displayed by a person, while functioning within a team and the abilities of the person to handle the team in a larger manner. There are certain qualities, which help anyone figure out who, or rather what should a team leader be. Traits Of Effective Team Leadership
One of the most important aspects or requirements is to be competent at the kinds of tasks that are carried out in a team. If a person is not the best or one of the best at the activities carried out, he or she will hardly have the right to correct or reprimand other people when at fault.When it comes to the leader of a team, it is very important that the person is able to keep the team working harmoniously together. The competence of a team and its efficiency depends on its ability to produce good work together, and a lot of this ability, depends on that of a leader of the team.
Some of the personal qualities required on the part of a leader are:
1. A good Team leader should have excellent communication skills and know how to put their thoughts across, in team, in order to get work done in a team.
2. The ability to remain cool and composed in times of crisis and tension. This depicts the ability of the leader to handle the stress of the situation and the team.
3. The ability to take responsibilities for one's actions is very difficult, especially in case one's job is on the lone. In such situations, a person who handles situations well, takes responsibilities and does not shirk can be called a good team leader.
4. When working in a team, even minor amounts of appreciation can do wonders to the team's morale and motivations levels and increase the desire to give better results.
5. A good team leader should know how to praise as well criticize. This way, one not only feels like paying heed to the instructions of a leader, but the general atmosphere of the team remains good as well.
These are mere outlines of the requirements of an ideal team leader, but the presence of these, for starters, can always show signs of success as one.
Rate it (No Ratings Yet)