Tips For A Phone Interview
There are several different ways of taking an interview- Face-to-face, Telephonic and Online interview. In a face-to-face interview, the interviewer and the interviewee interact with each other face-to-face. In an online interview, the interview is taken through the interview process via some online software that enables the interviewer and interviewee to talk to each other. The third type of interview, that is the phone interview, is taken via phone. The interviewer calls the interviewee and they carry out the interview on the phone. Phone interviews are generally taken to shortlist the applicants who would then be called for a personal face-to-face interview. Do not take a phone interview lightly as it is just as important as a regular interview. Here are certain tips to help you prepare for your phone interview.
- Prepare for the phone interview in the same way you would do for a regular interview. The major questions that you can be asked are your strengths and weaknesses, your background, skills and information about your current or former job, if any.
- Your resume should be in clear view in case you are asked specific details about your educational and professional qualifications.
- Keep your major achievements noted down in a notepad so that you can immediately tell the interviewer what you have achieved so far.
- If you get the call when you are just about to leave for some important job then ask the interviewer to set the interview at some alternative time that is convenient for both you and for the interviewer.
- Clear the room of any source of disturbance or noise. Switch off the stereo or television and close the doors and the windows to prevent any outside noise to distract you.
- Consider using a landline to attend the interview-you don't want your cell phone battery to run out just when the interviewer is asking your salary expectations!
- Practice talking on the phone. It seems easy and fun to talk on the phone when you are gossiping with a friend, but it feels entirely different when you are being interviewed. Ask a friend to call you and make her/him ask questions that an interviewer is likely to ask.
So, now if you have prepared for the interview, let's find out what you should and should not do during an interview.
- Smile. If you smile during a phone interview, that smile reflects on your voice and tone.
- Do not smoke, eat, drink or chew gum during the interview.
- Keep a glass of water beside it just in case your mouth gets dry.
- Address the interviewer by their last name with the appropriate title like Mr. or Ms.
- Speak clearly and get your thoughts across to the interviewer. He/she is not a mind reader and would not know what you are thinking.
So, now you are prepared for a phone interview. Next time you get a phone call, it might just be your future employer calling you. So be ready as your job might just be a phone call away.